u cannot open a book without learning something.” ― Confucius
At Mercy Mounthawk, we strongly recommend Supervised Study. It is very important for students to develop the habit of study if they are to reach their full potential.
Supervised Study is available to all students at Mercy Mounthawk. It provides a valuable opportunity, under the guidance of our experienced teachers, for students to discipline themselves and to concentrate on homework and revision in a warm and friendly atmosphere. Mercy Mounthawk prides itself in the standard of supervision offered to all who attend. Our supervisors will not tolerate any form of misbehaviour and parents are contacted if students are not making effective use of their time.
Supervised Study is currently available for both two and three hour sessions from Monday to Friday (inclusive), each week during the school term.
The fees for the next session of Supervised Study which will commence on Monday 15th January 2018 and end on Thursday 31st May 2018 are:
5 day : 2 hour study €300 (Monday – Friday from 4.00 p.m. to 6.00 p.m.)
5 day : 3 hour study €400 (subject to demand)
(Priority is given to leaving cert and junior cert students)
(Monday – Friday from 4.00 p.m. to 7.00 p.m.with a 10 minute break at 6.00p.m.)
A sibling discount can apply: Second Sibling € 50 reduction on the above fees Third Sibling € 100 reduction on the above fees
Please return your form and fees to Mrs. Stella O’Shea before 2.00 p.m. on Friday 12th January 2018. I am available in Room 9 during school time and can answer any queries by email : firstname.lastname@example.org. Fees must be pre-paid before attendance in study. Payment can be made
• by cheque / bank draft (payable to Mercy Mounthawk)
• online via the Donations/Payments section located in the Parent and Pupils tab, after place availability has been confirmed with Mrs O’Shea.
Cash is not acceptable for security and accountability reasons. Refunds are not available.
Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis and priority is given to Junior and Leaving Certificate students..
Supervised Study Sessions may also be offered during the February and Easter breaks should the demand arise.
For further information please contact Stella O’Shea.
Due to the upcoming staff meeting, study will not take place on Thursday May 10th and will take place on Thursday May 17th.
Supervised Study is fully subscribed for the current term until May 31st 2018.
During 2018, Supervised Study is cancelled on bank holidays, staff-meeting and in-service days. These dates are as follows:
January 31st February 27th March 14th &19th April 18th May 7th & 10th (not the 17th as previously listed)
If study is cancelled at short-notice this page will be updated accordingly.
We hope to offer Easter Study again this year, should sufficient demand exist. The cost of Easter Study is €55 and it will take place on the following dates :
Tuesday 27th March 2018 and Wednesday 28th March 2018
Tuesday 3rd April, Wednesday 4th April and Thursday 5th April 2018
Study will begin each day at 10.30 a.m. and end at 03.30 p.m. There will be a 30 minute lunch break from 12.45 a.m. to 1.15 p.m.
If your son/daughter wishes to attend, please use the following link. Closing date for applications is Wednesday 21st March 2018 at 15.45.
Places will be allocated on a first come first served basis and priority will be given to leaving cert and junior cert students. Refunds are not available for non-attendance.
It is important to note that students pay for their “place” in study and not their attendance, therefore refunds cannot be given.
- In order to maintain the integrity of the study session in an undisturbed fashion the following procedures apply:
- Students are expected to be punctual for all study periods. Arriving late disrupts other students’ concentration. If, due to unforeseen circumstances, a student is late, a note* from parents/guardians will be required by the supervisor on duty.
- Any arrangement for a student to leave study early should be organised in advance and a signed note* is also required if a student wishes to leave study early. Students will not be allowed to leave study, without a note. Please reserve the collection of students from study for emergencies. It is important that the study rooms not disturbed during the study session.
- Students are expected to attend study and to study without disruption to others.
- Electronic equipment e.g. phones, ipods, ipads are not allowed in the study rooms.
- Trips to lockers are not allowed during study time.
- Each student is expected to cooperate fully with the supervisor and normal school rules apply e.g. no eating, drinking or chewing gum during study etc.
- Students are required to go to the toilet before study so that no interruptions are required. Where a student has a medical condition that may necessitate bathroom breaks, a note to Mrs. O’ Shea is necessary upon application so that supervisors may be informed.
- Students who arrive late for any study period must present themselves at the designated study area. School authorities will not tolerate students loitering in any other part of the school during the study periods, the penalty for this misbehaviour will be a 2-day suspension from study. In this situation fees will be forfeit.
- Persistent poor time-keeping or refusal by a student to co-operate with his/her supervisor may lead to a one week suspension (following three instances) and in more serious cases, lengthier suspension and expulsion (on first instance after suspension) from supervised study. Serious misbehaviour, in accordance with the School Behaviour Code, may result in immediate suspension from study. In the above situations, fees will be forfeit.
- Students with behavioural issues or concentration problems may find that supervised study is unsuitable to their needs. Consider carefully the rules, regulations and your ability to adhere to them before joining supervised study.
The school reserves the right to refuse students access to supervised study
“ Supervised study is just brilliant … structured study without distraction” Mary (Parent)
“Having a teacher there makes me do work that I mightn’t do at home” Patrick (Student)
“As a Leaving cert, I find it very useful to go straight from class to study and not have the distraction of the journey home and outside life” James (Student)
“It’s great to study with others … I feel like we are all the same working together” Ciara (Student)
“My parents find it great knowing that I’m studying for at least 2 hours each evening … no arguments, I just do it!” David (Student)
“It’s easier to study in supervised study … there isn’t any noise” Alice (Student)