The Parents’ Council is involved in a wide variety of activities in the school including the organisation of fund-raising events and supporting student activities and school initiatives.
All parents/guardians of pupils enrolled in the school are automatically members of the Parents Council and are encouraged to attend our monthly meetings which are generally held on the second Wednesday of the month.
The role of the Parent’s Council is to act as a voice for the school population, to encourage parent networking and participation in educational and extra-curricular activities and to ensure that parents are informed of developments and changes in the school.
Aims of the Parents’ Council
- Act as a voice for the parent/guardian population
- Help further educational objectives
- Encourage active parent/guardian participation
- Ensure that parents/guardians are informed of developments and changes in the school
The Constitution of the Mercy Mounthawk Parents’ Council can be seen here:
If you would like to find out more about the Parents Council or have any specific requests you can contact us by email firstname.lastname@example.org, or come to our next meeting. Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month in the school at 8pm and last for one hour. The meetings are preceded by tea/coffee from 7.30 on.
Chairperson Kathleen Holmes
Secretary Deirdre Carr
Treasurer Edel Linnane
PRO Jerome Linnane
Activities of the Parents’ Council have involved:
- Fund raising through a bag-packing and table quizzes.
- Assisting with school uniform.
- Organising the book scheme which makes second-hand books available to some students.
- Establishing a budget sub-committee
- Organising the second chance school uniform scheme which allows students to purchase good quality uniforms at a reasonable price.
- Liaising with the Student Council.
- Supporting Home School Liaison Committee and Health Promotion Week.
- Helping to organise a Past Pupils Union.
- Providing a Positive Psychology Course for parents.
- Supporting public speaking sessions for 1st and 2nd year students.
- Continuing to implement the Parents Council Plan.
- Assisting with school outings and with matches as well as representatives from the parents’ council attending Catholic School Parent Association (CSPA) meetings
- Assisting the 6th year students in organising their Debs event
Parents’ Council Report
The section of the Parents’ page will carry the report from the Parents’ Council meetings and news of any upcoming activities that the Parents’ Council is engaged with.
Agreed Reports from the Board of Managment
This section will carry the current agreed report from the most recent meeting of the Board of Managment.
This section will carry links to any current consultations being undertaken with parents in the school regarding policies or procedures.
Each year the Patrents’ Council endeavour to provide parenting advice and help to our parents. This will often mean seeking the highest quality of guest speaker available and we have been fortunate in bringing some excellent people to the school.
In the 2016-17 school year the Parents’ Council hosted a talk by Dr Harry Barry entitled ‘Flagging the Screenager’ which gave strong, practical advice on how to deal with children and social media/internet.
During the year 2015-16 the Parents’ Association ran a series of parenting talks. This initiative was well supported and it is certainly something that will be repeated in the coming years.
Parenting Course 2017
In March 2017 the Parents’ Council will organise a parenting course for parents of 1st, 2nd and 3rd year students. More information to follow shortly…
Maths For Fun
Parents also help students with the Maths for Fun programme. This programme aims to support students’ mathematical learning by use of carefully selected games and puzzles. The programme forms part of the overall Numeracy Strategy of the school.
The second hand book scheme is a vital service operated for the school by the Parents’ Council. Donations of used books are always welcome.
The following is a list of the books required for school year 2016-17:
The Parents’ Council are always keen to help parents in any way possible and the ‘2nd chance uniform’ scheme is an excellent addition. New uniforms are readily available through Gemma’s Uniforms who visit the school regularly and Fitzgerald’s located in the centre of town. However, understanding that new uniforms can be expensive, we have set up this scheme to provide previously owned uniform items in good condition. For details contact the Parents’ Council at email@example.com
- Enrolment for Sept 2016
- School Planning and Development
- Newsletter Archive
- Junior Cycle
- Senior Cycle
- School Policies & Publications
- Facilities and New Extension 2016
- Introductory Video
- Guidance and Pastoral Care
- Recent Academic Achievements
- School Ethos
- Parents and Pupils
- Student Portal
- Industrial Action Updates
- State Examinations Information
- School Calendar
- Staff Contacts
- Parents’ Council
- Supervised Study
- Cyber Bullying Guide
- Students’ Council
- Voluntary Donations
- New Junior Cycle
- Transition into 1st Year
- Useful Links and Contacts
- Past Pupils Union