The role of the Parent’s Council is to promote the interests of the students in the school in cooperation with the rest of the school community.
Aims of the Parents’ Council
- Act as a voice for the parent/guardian population
- Help further educational objectives
- Encourage active parent/guardian participation and networking
- Ensure that parents/guardians are informed of developments and changes in the school
The Parents’ Council is involved in a wide variety of activities in the school including organising and supporting school initiatives, student activities and fund-raising events.
All parents/guardians of pupils enrolled in the school are automatically members of the Parents Council and are encouraged to attend our monthly meetings which are generally held on the second Wednesday of the month.
The Constitution of the Mercy Mounthawk Parents’ Council can be seen here:
To find out more about the Parents Council contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or come to our next meeting. Meetings are held on the second Wednesday of the month in the school at 8pm and last for one hour. Join us for tea/coffee from 7.30 on.
Chairperson Kathleen Holmes
Secretary Deirdre Carr
Treasurer Edel Linnane
PRO Jerome Linnane
Parents on BOM Roger Harty, Angela Ryan
Parents’ Council News
2nd Chance Uniform Sale: Perhaps your student has out-grown their school trousers or maybe they need a spare sweater. We have a stock of girls and boys trousers, sweaters, shirts, ties and some fleeces for sale at reduced prices. Sincere thanks to the generosity of parents for donations of these garments – Parents helping each other. Sale – Friday 5th January 2018, 11am to 1pm Room 35, Mercy Mounthawk School.
Parents Council Christmas Bag Pack: Sincere thanks to the parents who generously gave of their time to help out at our Christmas bag pack. They were assisted by the Transition Year students. Thanks also to Garvey’s Supervalu Tralee. All funds raised go to computer resources in the school.
Information Talk – Substance Abuse, a Parents Guide: Each year the Parents Council do our best to host an educational talk on a topic of interest to our parents. This term, we decided to shine the light on substance abuse, exploring the local experience of misuse of items which commonly exist in homes – alcohol, tobacco, prescription medication – and also the misuse of substances such as cannabis, solvents and class A drugs. We were delighted to welcome a member of the Kerry Drugs Unit of An Garda Siochana for a Parents Guide to Substance Abuse. A substantial number of parents braved the elements to join us on a wet and cold November evening, an indication perhaps of the concern of the challenges facing our young people, their parents and our community. We are extremely grateful to our local Gardai for facilitating this event.
Careers Evening: Our second annual Careers Night for senior students was a great success on Thurs 5th October, with almost 200 of our students attending. This event offered a unique, first-hand opportunity to gain real insight into a variety of careers and we are very grateful to the many local professionals who gave so willingly of their time and expertise to explain their careers and to interact with our young people. The feedback from participants has been very positive so we anticipate that we will offer this initiative to our school again next year.
Keep Fit Classes: We were delighted to receive support from the Kerry County Council Community Support Fund which is enabling us to run four “Get Active” classes for parents in the school during October 2017.
Student ID Cards: Members of our Parents Council are currently organising this year’s ID cards, which are invaluable for students travelling on public transport.
2017 AGM: Held in September in the Centenary Hall where we reported on our activities and finances for 2016/17.
Agreed Reports from the Board of Management
ANNUAL REPORT ON SCHOOL PLANNING AND IMPROVEMENT
delivered by the Principal to the Parents’ Council AGM on 27.09.2017
This section will carry links to any current consultations being undertaken with parents in the school regarding policies or procedures.
The Parents Council work to develop and maintain an open relationship with school management for the benefit of all parents/guardians and students. We encourage parental engagement in our activities listed below.
Activities of the Parents’ Council involve:
- Forum for new and existing parents to meet and support each other.
- Forum for parents to engage with their child’s education and be informed of developments and changes in the school.
- Fund raising through bag-packing and table quizzes.
- Educational courses and talks for parents and students.
- First-Year book rental scheme.
- Liaise with the Student Council.
- Second Chance Uniform Scheme.
- Student ID cards.
- Debs Committee support.
- Graduation presentation for 6th year students.
- Careers evening for Senior students.
- Support for Active Leisure Transition Year students.
- Financial support for student activities e.g: Spanish debating, sports equipment and kit, sporting events.
- Financial support for school projects e.g: Centenary Hall stage lighting and 1916 mural.
- Organising activities for the parent body such as Keep Fit classes.
2nd Chance Uniform Scheme:
The Parents’ Council are always keen to help parents in any way possible. New uniforms are readily available through Gemma’s Uniforms who visit the school regularly and Fitzgerald’s, Tralee. However, understanding that new uniforms can be expensive, we have set up this scheme to offer for sale at reduced prices previously owned uniform items in good condition.
If you wish to donate or purchase 2nd Chance Uniforms contact the Parents’ Council at email@example.com or the school office.
- Enrolment for 1st Year Students
- School Planning and Development – SSE (SCHOOL SELF EVALUATION)
- Newsletter Archive
- Junior Cycle
- Senior Cycle
- School Policies & Publications
- Introductory Video
- Guidance and Pastoral Care
- Recent Academic Achievements
- School Ethos
- Parents and Pupils
- Student Portal
- Parent Information page – recent updates:
- State Examinations Information
- School Calendar
- Staff Contacts
- Parents’ Council
- Supervised Study
- Cyber Bullying Guide
- Students’ Council
- Voluntary Donations
- New Junior Cycle
- Transition into 1st Year
- Useful Links and Contacts
- Past Pupils Union